Help Ultiworld continue to expand our coverage of the sport!
May 18, 2018 by Charlie Eisenhood in Other with 0 comments
Today, Ultiworld is launching its second annual membership drive.
We take this time each year to ask you to consider signing up for a subscription and supporting the journalism and video coverage that Ultiworld provides to the ultimate community. Our subscriptions offer much more than game footage: you will get exclusive articles (from features to analysis and beyond); Sideline Talk, a members-only podcast; the chance to vote on filmed games; the ability to turn off ads and improve your site experience; and more. You can learn more and sign up right here.
You may remember our subscription drive from last May. What have we done since then? Here’s just a few selected items of note:
- Expanded coverage of youth, college, and club ultimate, with more video and deeper reporting from tournaments near and far
- Developed an expanded video staff that has helped us process video more quickly (and we have many more exciting projects on the horizon)
- Started a new subscribers-only podcast (most recent guest: Suzanne Fields, next guest: Mike DeNardis)
- Co-hosted the first-ever High School National Invite with an even better 2018 version set for next month
- Continued to improve our livestreaming offerings with free coverage from marquee events
- Expanded coverage of international events, including the World Games and U24 World Championships
So why sign up? We want to be able to continue to offer more and deeper coverage of all aspects of the sport. We want to be able to pay reasonable compensation to the hard-working editorial staff instead of asking them to write or edit for a small stipend and their love of the sport. No one is getting rich from Ultiworld, but we are still looking to find a way to receive reasonable payment for the value of the content we provide.
You can subscribe for as little as $3.99 a month. That’s less than the cost of a latte in New York City.
Think about all the Ultiworld articles you’ve read and shared over the years, and all the extra tournaments that you’ve followed because of our coverage.
What’s coming up? What will your subscription help us achieve? Here’s a few things on the horizon:
- Our most in-depth coverage of the Division I and Division III College Championships in the site’s history
- 11 livestreamed games at D-I Nationals and at least seven filmed games at D-III Nationals
- Official media coverage at WUCC, in partnership with the ShowGame, featuring our most ambitious international tournament reporting and video to date
- Expanded reporting on every club division this summer at all major tournaments
- More livestreaming and reporting at the second annual High School National Invite
- Continued expansion of our international coverage
- A significant increase in video analysis content
A monthly subscription is the best way for readers to support these initiatives, as well as everything else we do at Ultiworld. If you enjoy our strategy articles but also want to support more youth coverage, a subscription is a great way to do it! If you religiously watch all of our club women’s footage, but want to support D-I and D-III college women’s coverage, a subscription is a great way to do it! If you appreciate all of our reporting but you really just want to make sure Pat & Tad can survive another year of Sin The Fields (and the #HotPepperChallenge), a subscription is a great way to do that too.
Our goal is to add 500 new subscribers by May 31st.
Can you help us reach our goal? For a company of our size, every person makes a difference. You can sign up here: it really matters and it makes your experience on Ultiworld even better.
Ultiworld is not unique in the web publishing ecosystem. More and more, publishers — from small ones like Ultiworld to very large ones like the New York Times — have realized they cannot rely on advertising dollars alone. And in order to serve their communities, direct financial support from readers is necessary. Your subscription directly supports our writing and journalism from college to club to youth to international.
Subscribing is super easy — check out our subscription page to learn more and sign up. Thank you so much for your support!
If you have questions for me about subscribing, the economics of ultimate journalism, or anything else, don’t hesitate to ask below in the comments or by email at email@example.com.