All of the info you need this weekend!
June 7, 2022 by Charlie Eisenhood in News with 0 comments
The 2022 High School National Invite is just three days away! The tournament preview will be out soon, but we wanted to make sure everyone was fully up to speed on the important details of this weekend, whether you’re a player, coach, parent, or fan. Questions? Leave them in the comments and we’ll get them answered.
Here’s what you need to know about the HSNI.
Schedule: The schedule is LIVE and is available here.
Field Address: Dorey Park and Recreation Center, 2999 Darbytown Rd, Henrico, VA 23231
Coaches/Captains’ Meeting: We will be having two coaches/captains meetings since teams are playing at different times of day: 8:00 AM Friday for Boys Division teams, 1:45 PM Friday for Girls Division teams.
Check-In: The complex opens at 6:45 AM on Friday and 7:30 AM on Saturday. There, we will verify with you that your roster and player registrations match and give you your team pack.
Rosters: Teams should already have submitted rosters to the HSNI event committee. The roster of players must match the list of players that have registered for your team.
Messaging & Alerts:
- Phone – If you need immediate assistance at your field or require an athletic trainer, call the tournament director (TD) or find your nearest tournament volunteer and they will pass on the information. The TD’s phone number can be found on the landing page of the schedule.
- GroupMe – We will be using GroupMe as our quick tournament messaging app for the weekend. Download the app to get started! Invites will be sent out by Friday to the phone numbers given for each team during the online registration. Updates to schedule, food scheduling, and weather delays will be communicated through this method first. Ultiworld will also communicate information via Twitter and possibly website updates.
- Email – Will be used to communicate details for the GroupMe notifications if needed. This will be a slower method of communication
- Twitter – Is for supplemental information, competition updates, weekend highlights, etc. Please do not use this method of communication for reaching out to the tournament staff.
Health & Safety
Athletic Trainers: We will have two trainers at the fields on Friday and Saturday. They will be there from 45 minutes before games start through the final round each day. Please get to the fields early if you want to get taped before the games. Athletic trainers have a golf cart so that they can come out to injured players on the field. Call the TD or notify the nearest tournament volunteer if emergency attention is needed.
Hospital: The closest hospital is Bon Secours Richmond Community Hospital.
Inclement Weather Information: In the event of a severe storm, participants should seek shelter in their cars. A blast of 5+ horns signifies a weather emergency. The Tournament Staff will make every attempt to provide as much advance notice as possible if a storm is approaching the area. Coaches should ensure that they have their bus driver’s cell phone number (if applicable) so the buses can be summoned quickly. Updates during a weather delay will be given first via the GroupMe and second via email (also on Ultiworld’s Twitter). The Google Doc Schedule will be the “MASTER” version of the schedule if changes are needed.
Weather Contingency Plan: If lightning is spotted within 10 miles, we will suspend games and continue the delay until 30 minutes passes with no lightning inside the 10 mile radius. If games are interrupted during the day, we will consider the following in making changes to the schedule:
- Games may go until 10 PM on Friday evening
- Games may start at 8 AM on Saturday morning
- Games may be shortened to 75 or 65 minutes & 11 points
- Time between games may be shortened to 15 minutes
- Pool play or prequarters may be clipped in favor of a straight bracket
Spirit of the Game
Spirit Captains: In a sport that depends on fairness and sportsmanship for quality competition, we take Spirit of the Game very seriously and will help encourage all teams to have great Spirit. Each team needs to elect a “Spirit Captain” for the weekend to make sure their team upholds these values all weekend.
Observers: Select bracket games will feature USA Ultimate certified observers. Unlike in past years, the observers this weekend will be operating as fully fledged observers that monitor time, make in/out calls, provide rulings on contested calls if requested by the players, and, if necessary, discipline players with TMFs and PMFs. We expect to have observers on all of the semifinals and finals and select early bracket games.
More notes on SOTG:
- Winning is important, but not at the cost of sportsmanship and respect for your opponents
- We will be using a Google Form for reporting Spirit Scores
- Spirit captains and spirit timeouts: Every team will have a spirit captain. That spirit captain can call spirit timeouts. The teams meet in a circle and discuss the issues and come to a resolution to continue to play with spirit.
- If any team demonstrates bad spirit, the Tournament Director will talk to the team and give them a warning. If bad spirit persists, repercussions are possible.
Halftime: 10 minutes.
Soft Cap: All pool play and early bracket games will have a +1 soft cap at 90 minutes. When 90 minutes is reached and the horn sounds (two blasts), finish the point. Add one to the team with the higher score. That is the new game total. There is no overtime: the game ends when one team reaches the new point total. During semis and finals, soft cap goes on at 100 minutes instead of 90 minutes.
Hard Cap (Pool & Early Bracket): All pool play and early bracket games will have a hard cap at 105 minutes. When 105 minutes is reached and the hard cap horn sounds (three blasts), finish the point. If a team is in the lead, they win the game. If the game is tied, play one more point (“universe”) to decide the winner. There will be no hard cap in the semifinals or finals.
Timeouts: Each team will have two timeouts per half (for the entire tournament). You can use any remaining timeouts in the soft cap. NO TIMEOUTS after the hard cap has blown.
Tie Breakers: If there is a two or three-way tie in pool play, it will be resolved as follows:
- Head-to-head between the tied teams.
- Point differential between the teams that are tied using only the games in which those teams played each other. For example, if A2, A3 and A4 have equivalent records, you would only use the point differential from A2vA3, A2vA4 and A3vA4. The games against A1 would not count towards the tie breaker.
- If point differential is tied between two teams, then you go back to the head-to-head result of those two teams.
Score Reporting: Teams are going to report scores via a Google Form (that also contains Spirit scoring). The link will be made available on Friday (and posted to the schedule).
- 1 blast – game start
- 2 blasts – soft cap
- 3 blasts – hard cap
- 5+ blasts – weather emergency, get to shelter immediately
Merchandise: Will be for sale at Tournament Central while supplies last! Any player caught stealing from the merch tent will have their team immediately disqualified from the tournament and will not be invited back in future years.
Saturday Papa John’s Dinner: Every player will get a personal pizza (sausage, pepperoni, or cheese), chips or a cookie, and a drink on Saturday night between 4:30 and 7 PM. Grab food and watch the finals!
Water: Will be easily accessible all weekend. There will be a water station at every field.
Shade Tents: We will have a 10′ x 10′ shade tent at every field.
Food For Sale: There will be food trucks on site serving food this weekend!
- Dwater D’lights: Italian ice, cotton candy, jumbo pretzels, soda, water, hot beverages.
- American Fruit Smoothies: Smoothies, funnel cake, fried Oreos. Friday only.
- Mayfield/J&R Fish: Chicken Wings, Fries, Gyros, Hot Dogs, Italian Sausage, Steak & Cheese Subs, Chicken & Cheese Subs, Sodas, Water, Lemonade.
Food To Bring: One of the keys to a successful day of ultimate is managing your energy and food intake throughout the day. We recommend bringing a supply of your own snacks and food to keep your body energized. Suggestions: fruit, granola bars, nuts, fruit leather, summer sausage, apple sauce, Bugles, Goldfish crackers, trail mix, etc.
Photography: UltiPhotos will be providing Official Tournament Photography all weekend! Nightly highlights will be posted online, with full coverage to follow shortly afterwards. Follow UltiPhotos on Facebook and Twitter to be the first to know when photos are available.
Reporting & Video: Ultiworld will be reporting, live tweeting, filming (pool play and early bracket play), and streaming (late bracket play) games all weekend! Live games will be available on Ultiworld.com/live and our YouTube channel. Follow us on Twitter (@Ultiworld and @Ultiworldlive) and on Facebook. We will be filming two games per round throughout pool play, prequarters, and quarterfinals. Streaming will begin with the 1 PM round for semifinals on Saturday!
Twitter Accounts: @Ultiworld, @CUTCamps. Follow us on Twitter to get any scores updates and more!
Public Parking: There is plenty of parking at Dorey Park. Please look at the complex map for parking locations. Buses should park offsite.
Dogs: Dogs are allowed at Dorey Park. There is a dog park on site!
Sponsors: We are excited to have amazing sponsors, including the following (click below to view website for each):
- Aria (Official Event Disc)
- BE Ultimate (Official Merchandise Partner)
- UltiPhotos (Official Tournament Photographer)
- Greatest Bag
- Visit Richmond