The second weekend of Sectionals is in the books -- on to Regionals!
September 15, 2014 by Charlie Eisenhood in News, Recap with 9 comments
Sectionals tournaments concluded this weekend, finalizing the Regionals fields around the country. Regionals competition begins next weekend as teams from the Northwest, Southwest, North Central, and Great Lakes take the field, hoping to qualify for the National Championships.
First, though, let’s take a look at the highlights from this Sectionals weekend. Here is a good list of the top-line results on Reddit.
– Big Wrench, a Tufts-heavy team out of Boston, surprised Boston Garuda 13-11 in the East New England final. A couple of late first half breaks opened up an 8-5 lead for Wrench at halftime, and they held off Garuda, the team that nearly knocked out PoNY from Regionals last year in the game-to-go, down the stretch.
– Palo Alto Boost Mobile easily handled San Francisco Oaks 15-6 in the Nor Cal Sectional final.
– Ottawa Phoenix beat Toronto Grand Trunk 15-8 in an all-Canada final in the Upstate New York section. Phoenix has been a bit under the radar stateside this year, but looked very impressive at Worlds, notching the upset of the tournament over the #1 Japanese team, Buzz Bullets. Along with Big Wrench, probably the top candidate for spoiler at Northeast Regionals this year.
– Amherst alumni team Dark or Light beat Montreal Mephisto 15-12 in the West New England final.
– Chicago Black Market beat crosstown rival Beachfront Property 12-10 after going on a 5-0 run to close out the Central Plains final.
– Top seeded Boston Vice beat Portland Swagger 13-11 in the East New England final.
– Montreal Nova took out Montreal Storm 11-7 in the West New England final.
– Asheville Cahoots snuck past Raleighwood 12-11 in the North Carolina final
– Boston Ghosts, who have a long road to getting back to Nationals with just two bids for the Northeast this year, had no trouble in a 15-6 win over Boston Mixed Nuts