Give thanks with high-flying action in bite-sized form!
November 22, 2022 by Ultiworld in News with 0 comments
Opening Pull is Ultiworld’s weekly wrap-up of the previous week in ultimate, available both here on the site and as an email newsletter. We’ve gathered the news you need to know and highlights you need to see. Check back weekly or subscribe now to receive Opening Pull in your inbox along with a rundown of the previous week’s content on Ultiworld.
AUDL to Add Houston Franchise; Tampa and Ottawa Folding
The AUDL announced it will add a new team in Houston in 2023, bringing the total Texas teams in the semi-pro league to three, while the Tampa Bay Cannons and Ottawa Outlaws will cease operations.
“Adding a team in Houston has been a goal of our league as the region’s ultimate community has continued to grow and flourish,” said AUDL CEO and Commissioner Steve Hall in a statement.
The team is expected to play in the Houston Sports Park, a new $3.2 million, 4,000 seat stadium that was built for the SaberCats and opened in 2019. The Houston franchise does not yet have a name or logo.
Tampa and Ottawa, meanwhile, become the first teams to leave the league since Nashville and San Francisco in 2018. Both teams struggled with attendance, and neither team has had a winning season since 2017.
Rutgers 50th Anniversary Game
Rutgers held an alumni scrimmage to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the first intercollegiate ultimate game. This highlight reel has it all: no-look scoobers, bookends, skies, and plenty of plays from both rising stars and the players who started it all.
AUDL All-Star Game 2022
Experimental rules like a five-second stall count and a two-point line led to a high scoring game between the league’s all stars.
2022 Club Nationals Finals
Highlights from Nathan Kolakovic and USA Ultimate of the last teams standing at the 2022 Nationals finals: Molly Brown vs. Fury, Johnny Bravo vs. Truck Stop, and Mixtape vs. NOISE.
Denver Johnny Bravo at 2022 Club Nationals
Relive the staunch defense, skying offense, and emphatic celebrations from Johnny Bravo en route to their 2022 men’s club title with this best-of mix.
Washington D.C. Truck Stop 2022 Highlights
Not to be outdone, the 2022 club Nationals runner-ups compiled their own mixtape, proving efficient offense doesn’t have to be boring.
Philadelphia AMP 2022 Club Nationals
While AMP likely had higher hopes than bowing at in prequarters at Nationals, it didn’t stop them from making plays that show why they’re one of the mixed division’s premier teams year in and year out.
2022 Club Nationals: Mixed and Women’s Divisions
Top plays from the 16 best teams in the nation in the mixed and women’s divisions, courtesy of USA Ultimate.
WUCC 2022 Opening Ceremony and Showcase Game by Christian Flores
128 teams gathered from around the world to compete for gold at the 2022 World Ultimate Club Championships. The festivities began with an opening ceremony and showcase game between Vancouver Traffic and Japan’s MUD.
WUCC 2022 Open, Mixed, and Women’s Divisions by Nathan Kolakovic
One of the best in the ultimate highlight business, Nathan Kolakovic brought his signature style of slo-mo plays over electro-pop music to bear on the World Ultimate Club Championships with highlights from each division.
CUUC 2022 Friday Qualifiers
Day one of the premier Canadian college ultimate tournament featured teams fighting for the final spots in Division One!
New Zealand Division 2 Mixed Ultimate Championships
A swirling wind made for some exciting top plays from the recent New Zealand mixed ultimate championships.
Wall City Season Highlights
German open team Wall City had a historic year, wresting the German national title from Bad Skid for the first time in twelve years. Catch up on their season accomplishments, which include tying for thirteenth overall at WUCC and making it to the quarterfinals of EUCF.
Bonus: Photo Highlights from Saturday pool play at Classic City Classic
Last Week on Ultiworld
2022 Club Awards
- Ultiworld’s 2022 Club Awards: Snubs And Superlatives (Men’s)
- Ultiworld’s 2022 Club Awards: Snubs And Superlatives (Mixed)
- Ultiworld’s 2022 Club Awards: Snubs And Superlatives (Women’s)
- Deep Look: Ben Lohre, AUDL All-Star Weekend, and Fall College Check-In
- Double Overtime: Northwest Cup Review, WUL 2023 Roster Updates
- Huckin’ Eh: Anja Haman, Jeremy Hill Interviews
- US Open, YCCs Relocated to Colorado for 2023, Ending Minnesota Contract Early
- AUDL to Add Houston Franchise; Tampa and Ottawa Folding
- Classic City Classic 2022: Tournament Recap
- Missouri Loves Company 2022: Fall Tournament Recap (Men’s Division)
- Universe Point: AMP vs. Toro
- Universe Point: AMP vs. Drag’n Thrust
- Universe Point: Ring of Fire vs. Truck Stop
- The first ever Huckin’ Eh college awards will be posted later this week, featuring familiar categories like player of the year alongside the spirit-based Huckin’ Heart award.
- Our 12 Days of College Ultimate begins on December 12! We’ll be breaking down players to watch, all-college universe lines, and much more.