We get you ready for Sunday.
August 19, 2017 by Charlie Eisenhood in News, Recap with 0 comments
Ultiworld’s reporting on the Men’s Division of the 2017 Elite-Select Challenge is presented by Universe Point cleats. All opinions are those of the authors. Please support the brands that make Ultiworld possible and shop at Universe Point!
After four rounds of pool play and prequarters to close out the day, the quarterfinals are set at the Elite-Select Challenge. Here’s a look at the championship bracket:
Here are some quick hits about the action on Saturday:
- High Five started a little bit slow (13-11 over Madison Club) but mostly looked like the best team at the fields, finishing 3-0 with a thumping 13-8 win over Machine in the last round of pool play. Two other pool winners — Dig and Sub Zero — also had close calls in round one before running away with the pool in the day’s later games. Doublewide played through some sloppiness, especially against Rhino, to easily get the bye to quarters.
- After a bunch of near upsets in round one, we finally got one in round two when Medicine Men went on a 6-0 run to come surging back to beat PoNY 13-11. Med Men was just a point away from winning the pool (they lost on double game point to Sub Zero) but still ended up in prequarters after beating Inception 11-10. They’ll get their toughest test of their season so far in quarters against Doublewide.
- PoNY rallied big in the second half of their prequarter against Machine to win 13-8 after trailing 7-6 at halftime. That salvaged a rough day in which they blew a big lead against Medicine Men and couldn’t find an answer defensively against Sub Zero.
- Chain Lightning also made up for a rough pool play performance (lost 12-11 to Smokestack) with a strong win in prequarters over Rhino.
- Could the Mid-Atlantic end up with four bids? It doesn’t seem impossible after Med Men’s great day (and Rhino, currently the second to last team in, having a brutal day).