Week 10 results and a breakdown of DC's clutch win over Philly.
July 5, 2022 by Alex Rubin and Keith Raynor in Recap with 0 comments
Our coverage of the 2022 AUDL season is presented by VII Apparel Co., who provides premium performance apparel for the active world, featuring their proprietary GreenLine fabric made from 100% recycled plastic bottles.
Welcome to the AUDL Throwaround. We are making a bit of a change to our format: we’ll go over each result from the weekend, share our freshest Power Rankings, and provide info about the league. Specifically for our subscribers, we’ve got a breakdown of one or more of the most interesting games from the weekend and our Highlight of the Week.
Teams are segmenting themselves into potential division winners — and title contenders — potential playoff qualifiers and playoff spoilers, and the remaining clubs hoping to play their best down the stretch. There’s only a handful of weekends remaining for these teams to make their final statements of the regular season and resolve any outstanding conflicts for postseason positions.
Results & Standings
Week 10 Scoreboard
- New York Empire ran away from Montreal Royal, jumping all over the shorthanded road side. NY tallied six first quarter breaks to build a 10-3 lead and never looked back, breaking on over 50% of their chances in the contest. Montreal piled up 26 turnovers.
- Minnesota Wind Chill scored a vital Central division victory against Chicago Union, splitting the season series, with the road team getting the one in both matchups. Their D-line was the more efficient unit, continuing to look like one of the league’s best. Bryan Vohnoutka had a hand in nine scores and Abe Coffin was strong for the D-line in the victory.
- A short turnaround could have hampered the Wind Chill, but they had no trouble dispatching Detroit, outscoring the Mechanix in every quarter. Quinn Snider recorded eight goals in the blowout.
- Toronto remained an unlikely playoff qualifier by earning a narrow win during a trip to Ottawa in a very close match decided by the deep game. The Rush finished 14/20 on deep shots, while Ottawa was just 7/13, with some of those six Ottawa missed long shots turning into crucial Toronto fourth quarter breaks to secure the final result.
- Jacob Fairfax turned in a strong performance for Carolina Flyers in a rather sloppy victory over Atlanta Hustle, with six scores, two blocks, and 293 yards. While the turnover numbers weren’t astronomical, both teams struggled to convert breaks and in the red zone, and had some unforced errors that slowed the game down, but the Flyers held on.
- Boston Glory recovered from an early deficit to dominate the latter portions against the visiting Montreal to earn a rare comfortable win. The Glory defense was able to stifle Jakob Brisette, while Ben Sadok and Cole Davis-Brand combined for over 1000 yards and nine assists.
- Despite missing star Keegan North, the Indianapolis AlleyCats played a strong fourth quarter to claim a win against the visiting Pittsburgh Thunderbirds. A trio of breaks in the final frame finally gave Indy some breathing room. Cameron Brock scored eight goals and added two assists in the win.
- Austin Sol made sure the outcome against Dallas Legion was almost never in doubt, scoring a higher total in every quarter on the way to an uncontested victory, the 1000th out of the 5000 matchups between these two eternal rivals…or at least it feels like that many. Their O-line held Dallas to just one break on 18 opportunities.
- The first half was a tale of two quarters between Colorado Summit and Los Angels Aviators, resulting in a 10-10 halftime line despite both teams showing stretches of dominance. However, Colorado outscored LA 14-5 in the second half to turn it into a laugher. Quinn Finer starred with five scores, 410 total yards, and no giveaways.
Week 10 Standings
AUDL Power Rankings:
|1||New York Empire||-||1|
|5||Minnesota Wind Chill||+2||7|
|9||Salt Lake Shred||-||9|
|10||San Diego Growlers||-||10|
|18||Los Angeles Aviators||-2||16|
|25||Tampa Bay Cannons||-||25|
Breakdown of the Week
Heartbreak in Philly (Again)
While not yet second nature even to many AUDL players, the realities of playing with a clock and other rule changes have increased the importance of playing situational ultimate. The Philadelphia Phoenix have taken a bit of a crash course on the topic this season, with their latest test at home against the favored DC Breeze.
Bonus Content for AUDL Throwaround: Week 10, Breeze vs. Phoenix Breakdown is only available to Ultiworld Subscribers
Already have a subscription? Log in
Whether you visit Ultiworld for our reporting, our podcasts, or our video coverage, you can help us continue to provide high quality content with a subscription. By becoming a subscriber, not only do you receive benefits like bonus content and full article RSS feeds, you also help fund all of Ultiworld's coverage in general. We appreciate your support!