The 72 athletes who will represent the United States at the U24 world championships.
December 14, 2022 by Keith Raynor in News with 0 comments
USA Ultimate announced the rosters of the three national teams they will send to the 2023 U24 World Ultimate Championships July 1-8 in England.
The US swept gold in 2019, the last time the event took place, and have done so in every year they’ve attended, save 2015, when the women’s division team took home silver.
Here are the women’s, mixed, and men’s division rosters.
WOMEN’S DIVISION ROSTER
|Claire Yeager Schmitt
Head Coach: Nancy Sun
Assistant Coaches: Sarah Griffith, Sarah Meckstroth, Rohre Titcomb
MIXED DIVISION ROSTER
|Axel Agami Contreras
|Chackgarin (Jack) Brown
|North Carolina State
|Alexander (AJ) Merriman
|Grand Valley State
|Sarah Von Doepp
Head Coach: Patrick Sherlock
Assistant Coaches: Hannah Baranes, Lauren Boyle, Carlos Lopez
OPEN DIVISION ROSTER
|Cal Poly SLO
|Cal Poly SLO
Head Coach: Bob Krier
Assistant Coaches: David Allison, Darryl Stanley, Hector Valdivia
By the Numbers1
- Two players return from 2019, both on the women’s division roster: Abby Hecko and Stacy Gaskill. Both had yet to compete in college when they played previously. They are now decorated veterans.
- The back-to-back reigning champions from North Carolina have the most selections with nine: Pleiades is represented by Theresa Yu, Kailyn Lowder, Dawn Culton, and Erica Birdsong; Darkside sends Ben Dameron, Matt McKnight, Kevin Pignone, Rutledge Smith, and Josh Singleton.
- Colorado is the school with the second-most players. Mamabird’s Nate Bucholz, Danny Landesman, and Calvin Stoughton were selected, along with Quandary’s Stacy Gaskill, Emma Williamson, and Clil Phillips.
- Washington will have four representatives, with Element’s Abby Hecko, Steph Phillips, and Nikki Chan and the Sundodgers’ Jack Brown all being chosen. Vermont has the same number, as Ruckus’ Kennedy McCarthy and Sarah VonDoepp and Chill’s Turner Allen and Johnny Sickles are all rostered.
- 38 different schools are represented among the 72 selected athletes.
- Six players2 from the U20 US National Teams that won gold at the World Junior Ultimate Championships were selected: Declan Miller, Felix Moren, Josh Singleton, Erica Birdsong, Rachel Chang, and Chloe Hakimi. The youngest player on the U20 team, Hakimi, a 16-year old from Seattle, will now reprise that role on this club, albeit with a much wider spread.
These numbers don’t take into account the 2010 competition as there were only two divisions. ↩
Elsa Weybright also was selected for both the U20 and U24 teams, but did not compete at WJUC. ↩