August 22, 2018 by Steve Sullivan in Rankings with 0 comments
Every week, we will post the Club Power Rankings here on the front page to facilitate discussion in the comments and serve as a permalink for each week’s rankings.
Club Men's Power Rankings:
|Dropped from rankings: Winnipeg General Strike (24)|
|1||San Francisco Revolver||-||1|
|3||New York PoNY||-||3|
|4||Raleigh Ring of Fire||-||4|
|5||Minneapolis Sub Zero||+2||7|
|9||Denver Johnny Bravo||+1||10|
|11||Atlanta Chain Lightning||+9||20|
|14||Michigan High Five||-3||11|
|15||Washington DC Truck Stop||-2||13|
|17||Portland Rhino Slam!||-1||16|
|18||Vancouver Furious George||-1||17|
|22||Kansas City Prairie Fire||-1||21|
- With a dominating performance at the Elite Select Challenge — no opponent was able to post double digits — Seattle Sockeye move up to the #2 spot this week. They replace a Toronto GOAT squad who’s performance in Columbus was as disappointing as Seattle’s was impressive; enduring three surprisingly losses sees Toronto fall 11 spots and finds them on the outside looking in of the current bid cutoff.
- Several mid-tier teams make big moves up the rankings this week, each matching or setting new season highs for their rankings. #6 Madison Club and #10 SoCal Condors looked strong winning their pools at ESC, while #11 Atlanta Chain Lightning were a single tie-breaking point away from matching that feat. All also picked up at least one bracket play win on Sunday.
- Pittsburgh Temper encounter their first adversity of the season, failing to qualify for the semifinals in Columbus and settling for 7th place. They fall out of the Top 10 for the first time since their surprise run at the Pro Elite Challenge to start the season.
- After picking up a win over #24 Durham Turbine, Seattle Voodoo make their 2018 debut in the Power Rankings as Winnipeg General Strike fall out.
Club Mixed Power Rankings:
|Dropped from rankings: Boston League Of Shadows (23), New Jersey Jughandle (24)|
|3||Minneapolis Drag’n Thrust||-||3|
|6||Denver Love Tractor||+1||7|
|7||Boston Snake Country||-1||6|
|8||West Chester Loco||+1||9|
|9||San Francisco Blackbird||+7||16|
|10||San Francisco Polar Bears||+8||18|
|11||Boston Wild Card||-1||10|
|12||Washington DC Space Heater||-1||11|
|13||Minneapolis No Touching||+6||19|
|14||San Francisco Mischief||-||14|
|15||Dallas Public Enemy||-||15|
|16||Fort Collins shame.||-8||8|
|18||Washington DC Rally||+2||20|
|23||Los Angeles 7 Figures||-6||17|
|24||Iowa Chad Larson Experience||+1||25|
|25||Seattle Lights Out||-|
- It was a big weekend for the Bay Area and Southwest region at Elite Select, as Blackbird and Mischief did enough to join Polar Bears on the right side of the bid cutoff line. Blackbird and Polar Bears in particular looked impressive, carrying both all the way up to spots in the Top 10 in this week’s Power Rankings.
- Minneapolis No Touching also had a nice weekend in Columbus; while they came up just short against two Bay Area squads on Sunday, an undefeated Saturday sees them climb six spots to #13.
- Going in the other direction is Fort Collins shame. A 2-3 weekend while missing several key pieces deflates their lofty ranking a bit and shows that they may still be more reliant on their star players than we initially thought this season.
- Joining shame. in a fall are Durham Toro and Madison NOISE. While both finished second in their pools at Elite Select, they slumped in consolation. Their Jekyll-and-Hyde results not just this weekend but all season makes them hard to place in the rankings, but they’ll need to show some more consistency to regain spots inside the top 20.
- Despite positive results in the Swiss draw portion of Fruit Bowl, Los Angeles 7 Figures failed to capitalize on their chances in the bracket on Sunday, falling to Seattle’s third and fourth teams. LA tumble down to #23 as they finish their regular season and will have their work cut out for them to return to Nationals in a stacked Southwest region.
- New to the Top 25 this week are Atlanta Bucket and Seattle Lights Out. Bucket was awesome in Columbus, a one-loss weekend unfortunately only good enough for fifth place. With a solid season overall to this point, the Southeast squad debut at #19. Lights Out followed up some impressive wins earlier this summer at Revolution in the Bay Area with a third place finish at a home tournament, good enough to move into the final spot in the rankings.
Club Women's Power Rankings:
|Dropped from rankings: Winnipeg Fusion (22), Oakland LOL (24)|
|2||Boston Brute Squad||-||2|
|3||San Francisco Fury||-||3|
|4||Denver Molly Brown||-||4|
|5||Washington DC Scandal||+1||6|
|7||San Francisco Nightlock||+1||8|
|16||San Diego Wildfire||+1||17|
|19||Washington DC Grit||-|
|22||Kansas City Wicked||+1||23|
|23||New York BENT||-4||19|
|25||Denver Small Batch||-||25|
- It was a hard-luck weekend for Toronto 6ixers — a single two-point loss to Rival on Saturday cost them a spot in the weather-shortened bracket and sees them drop a few spots this week to #9. The fall may only be temporary as they played ESC without several of their stars, including brand new pickup Cat Phillips.
- Great Lakes pair Chicago Nemesis and Columbus Rival each notched victories over Top 10 teams from last week and inch up the rankings. They likely have both done enough to hang onto strength bids for the region, and they appear to be lining up for an exciting match to crown a regional champion.
- Each of Madison Heist, Minneapolis Pop, and Austin Showdown picked up at least two losses in Columbus and shuffle up the middle of the board.
- Welcome to the big-time, Washington DC Grit! Three victories over ranked teams at ESC helped Grit recover from some early season stumbles and show they belong as a borderline Top 20 team. They make their 2018 Power Rankings debut at #19.
- After finishing second at Canadian Nationals this past weekend, Ottawa Stella announced they’ll be participating in the USAU Series this fall. They return to the rankings after a four-week absence when it appeared they may sit the fall out.