Plus, a final assessment of each D-I team's 2022 and a way-too-early look ahead to 2023.
July 21, 2022 by Ultiworld in Rankings with 0 comments
While our College Power Rankings can always be found on our permanent rankings page, every week during the season we will post the current edition here on the front page to facilitate discussion in the comments and serve as a permalink for each week’s rankings.
As bonus content for our subscribers, we also periodically provide expanded notes on our Top 25 teams.
D-I Women’s Power Rankings
|Dropped from rankings: SUNY Binghamton (22)|
|4||UC Santa Barbara||-||4|
|8||UC San Diego||-1||7|
D-I Women’s Discussion
- With largely anticipated results from the quarterfinals onward in Milwaukee, the top of the Women’s D-I rankings remain steady in our final update of the 2022 season. Tufts‘ victory over UC San Diego in the prequarters at Nationals sees those two swap places in the only change to the top 10.
- As the two lowest seeded teams to make the bracket at Nationals, UC Davis and Florida State also each move up one spot, finishing 2022 ranked at #11 and #13, respectively.
- Virginia and Northeastern each won games in Milwaukee to move up slightly near the back-end, while Purdue replaces the winless SUNY Binghamton for the last spot in the end of season Top 25.
D-I Men’s Power Rankings
|6||Cal Poly SLO||+3||9|
|24||William & Mary||-3||21|
D-I Men’s Discussion
- Unsurprisingly, the national champs North Carolina vault up to the top of the board, ending the season atop our Power Rankings for the third straight season.
- With strong quarterfinal finishes, Cal Poly SLO, California, and Minnesota all move up to finish the year inside the Top 10 while Vermont and NC State each fall a bit after suffering upset losses in Milwaukee.
- Despite two pool play victories, Michigan finished 15th at Nationals and slide down behind Utah State, who finish the season at their highest ever position in our Power Rankings at #16.
- The back end of the rankings also sees some rearrangement. Ohio State‘s winless weekend in Milwaukee drops them down to #22 behind Wisconsin and Auburn, both of whom earned multiple victories at Nationals. William & Mary‘s struggles also drags down regional rivals Maryland to round out the top 25.
D-III Women’s Power Rankings
|Dropped from rankings: Trinity (25)|
|9||Haverford and Bryn Mawr||-1||8|
|23||Lewis and Clark||-||23|
D-III Women’s Discussion
- While Middlebury continue their stranglehold on the top spot in the Power Rankings, Wellesley ride their run to the national final all the way to a #2 ranking at the end of the season.
- St. Olaf make the biggest jump of this update, finishing at a season high #4, thanks to their semifinal performance in Milwaukee. On the other hand, Berry and Union share the distinction for the biggest fall in this update, as the Valkyries slip ups at Nationals also pull down a regional rival they defeated at ConfRegionals.
- Picking up a win over #17 Occidental is enough to see Knox hop into the Top 25 for the first time this season, bumping out the idle Trinity from the last spot.
D-III Men’s Power Rankings
D-III Men’s Discussion
- As was the case in D-I Men’s, a repeat title performance from Oklahoma Christian sees the 2021 Power Rankings kings return to their place at the top to end this season as well.
- Some surprise quarterfinalists each move way up our board and finish inside the top 10 — Oberlin to #5, Scranton to #8, and Grace to #9, the latter two at all-time program highs.
- Grinnell also were big movers thanks to Nationals, with a consolation upset of Williams sliding the Grinnellephants ahead of WUFO at #16 and #17 respectively.
Read below for writeups on each team in our D-I Top 25 Power Rankings!
With the 2022 College season receding in the rearview mirror, we close up our coverage of the year with a final installment of our Power Rankings. In addition to providing some closing thoughts on what we saw in the overall season performance from each of our Top 25 teams, we also give a way-too-early look ahead at what we might expect from them in 2023.
Bonus Content for College Power Rankings, Presented By Project 1 [End of 2022 Season] is only available to Ultiworld Subscribers
Already have a subscription? Log in
Whether you visit Ultiworld for our reporting, our podcasts, or our video coverage, you can help us continue to provide high quality content with a subscription. By becoming a subscriber, not only do you receive benefits like bonus content and full article RSS feeds, you also help fund all of Ultiworld's coverage in general. We appreciate your support!