January 30, 2020 by Ultiworld, Daniel Prentice, Lindsay Soo and Will Johnson in Rankings with 0 comments
Here are this week’s D-I College Power Rankings, presented by the National Ultimate Training Camp!
While our College Power Rankings can always been found on our permanent rankings page, every week during the season we will post the current edition here on the front page to facilitate discussion in the comments and serve as a permalink for each week’s rankings.
This year, we also plan to periodically provide expanded notes on our Top 25 teams as bonus content for our subscribers; notes for all ranked teams in all four divisions can be found at the bottom of this post, available to Ultiworld subscribers.
D-I Women’s Power Rankings
|Dropped from rankings: Cal Poly SLO (15), Pittsburgh (25)|
|7||UC San Diego||+1||8|
|11||UC Santa Barbara||+6||17|
D-I Women’s Discussion
- Results from Santa Barbara Invite shake up the women’s rankings this week, as we get our first in-season data points on the hierarchy of the Southwest and the potential of several other nationally relevant squads who made the trek. UC Santa Barbara and Vermont are the largest gainers this week as both ride positive performances in California up the board and to the precipice of the Top 10.
- Up-and-down weekends saw both Washington and Wisconsin slide a little to #13 and #15 respectively. Both showed flashes of potential with some solid wins, but also dropped games against the tournament’s top tier.
- Two squads storm into the Top 25 with their showing in Santa Barbara, as Northwestern enters at #20 and UC Davis joins the board at #22. Both surprised by earning spots in the championship bracket, where Gungho knocked off Rogue in a prequarter matchup.
- Falling out this week are former #15 Cal Poly SLO — who suffered through a brutal weekend without leader Kelly Dickinson — and the idle #25 Pittsburgh. Tough luck for both, but it would not be a surprise to see either squad reenter the Top 25 later this spring.
D-I Men’s Power Rankings
|Dropped from rankings: Victoria (19)|
|11||Cal Poly SLO||+6||17|
|21||William & Mary||+1||22|
D-I Men’s Discussion
- Despite nearly half of the Top 25 being in action this past weekend, the board remains relatively stable as results largely met preseason expectations. A few Top 10 teams made a strong case to move up — #3 North Carolina dominated en route to a Kickoff title, #7 Washington was similarly impressive in taking down Santa Barbara Invite — but it’s hard to justify too much shuffling until we see the rest of the top tier in action.
- Reigning national semifinalists Cal Poly SLO earned the biggest bump this week, moving up six spots as they firmly planted a flag as the Southwest regional favorites with a strong showing in Santa Barbara, including taking the fight to BYU and pushing Washington in the tournament final.
- The disappointment of the week is clearly Victoria, who drop from #19 all the way out of the Top 25 after a miserable performance in California.
- Taking the Vikes’ place is surprise semifinalist UCLA, who enter the Top 25 for the first time ever as a program.
Bonus writeups for each of our D-I Top 25 teams for subscribers below.
Bonus Content for D-I College Power Rankings, Presented By NUTC [January 29, 2020] is only available to Ultiworld Subscribers
Already have a subscription? Log in
Whether you visit Ultiworld for our reporting, our podcasts, or our video coverage, you can help us continue to provide high quality content with a subscription. By becoming a subscriber, not only do you receive benefits like bonus content and full article RSS feeds, you also help fund all of Ultiworld's coverage in general. We appreciate your support!