January 24, 2018 by Ultiworld in Rankings with 0 comments
Every Wednesday, we will post the College Power Rankings here on the front page to facilitate discussion in the comments and serve as a permalink for each week’s rankings.
DI Men's Division Power Rankings:
|Dropped from rankings: Central Florida (24)|
|12||Cal Poly SLO||-||12|
D-I Men’s Discussion
- Florida entered the rankings for this first time this season at #17, following a three-win weekend at Carolina Kickoff. They played tight in their loss to UNC Wilmington, led by Billy O’Bryan’s aggressive playmaking abilities and a strong supporting cast.
- #19 NC State had a middling performance commensurate with their rank and only moved down a spot to make room for an impressive Florida team that beat them head to head, 12-11.
- Speaking of UNC Wilmington, they dropped one spot in the rankings to #9. News that sophomore Matt Ellis would not be with the team combined with bouts of ineffective play – even though they won all of their games at Carolina Kickoff1- to knock their foundation a little.
- Central Florida exited the top 25 after registering just a single win at Carolina Kickoff. Included in their four losses was an unsightly L against D-III Carleton GoP. The team suffered without powerful thrower Adam Vinson.
DI Women's Division Power Rankings:
|11||UC San Diego||-||11|
|22||Notre Dame Womb||-||22|
D-I Women’s Discussion
- The new #5, Oregon gained two spots, entering the top 5 after playing very close with #2 British Columbia at Bellingham Invite. It was also worthy of note to see Hayley Wahlroos back for a 5th year, and the former All Star Ultimate Tour member is worth a significant boost to expectations for Fugue.
- Both Washington and Whitman moved up as a pair, going up two spots to #16 and #17, respectively, following their performances at Bellingham. Seeing them first hand gave a strong impression of their overall outlook for the regular season.
DIII Men's Division Power Rankings:
|Dropped from rankings: Lewis & Clark (24)|
|15||Army West Point||-||15|
D-III Men’s Discussion
- #1 Air Force knocked off D-I opposition — Oregon State — en route to a perfect record at their opening tournament of 2018. Already at the top spot, they have nowhere higher to go.
- Despite their surprise win over Central Florida and playing new D-I #17 Florida close, Carleton GoP‘s other results were uneven and they were absolutely smacked by Penn State. It was enough for them to simply hold tight at #8 this week.
- Puget Sound‘s solid win over Lewis & Clark at the Flat Tail Open, paired with a one point loss to Oregon State and win over Nevada-Reno, was enough to launch them into this week’s rankings at #20. They replace L&C, who fall out of the Top 25.
DIII Women's Division Power Rankings:
|20||Haverford and Bryn Mawr||-||20|
D-III Women’s Discussion
- With no ranked teams in action yet in 2018, there remain no changes to the Women’s D-III Top 25 this week.
they did not play UNC ↩